Originally a three-storey building, No. 6, also known as the physics building, now uses the original attic space as offices. The premises at Kotlářská were not put into use by the department until 1921, though teaching began a little earlier. Prior to 1921, teaching took place in various rented premises (for example, today’s VUT), in courtyard workshops, in flats and the like. That’s how the Physics Department started. Today, the field has grown and there are now three separate Physics Departments, the Department of Physical Electronics, the Department of Condensed Matter Physics and the Department of Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics, each housed in a separate building.
Building No. 6 after the recesses were filled in. Note the massive growth of vegetation compared with the photo above. Photo: Libor Teplý, 2019.