The status of professor emeritus may be obtained by a former employee of Masaryk University with the academic rank of professor who has made an outstanding contribution to the development of the University or its units through his or her lifelong teaching and scientific activities.
A professor emeritus is an honorary member of the MU academic community and the faculty with the right to contribute to the activities of MU, its faculties, and other institutes. They may play an active role in university life, primarily as consultants on conceptual issues and scholarly and scientific questions. Based on agreements with the faculty, department, or institute heads, a professor emeritus may also contribute to research activities or other activities, or conduct their own research.
The list of emeriti professors for the MU Faculty of Science can be found here.
Procedure for the appointment of professor emeritus
The procedure is regulated by MU Directive No. 5/2018 on Professor Emeritus Status (in Czech). The proposal for appointment shall be submitted by any academic staff member to the Head of the Department of the Faculty where the nominated professor worked. It is a written proposal that includes the nominee's personal data and a justification for the nomination of approximately one page of text; it is accompanied by the nominee's professional CV. The Head of the Department forwards the proposal to the Dean through the Department for Doctoral Studies, Quality, Academic Affairs and Internationalization of the MU Faculty of Science. In case of the Dean's approval, the proposal is submitted to the Scientific Board of the Faculty of Science for approval. The Dean then submits the proposal with the approval of the Scientific Board to the Rector for a decision.
The usual form of submitting the proposal to the Rector is a letter from the Dean, which should include:
- a letter nominating the professor for the rank of professor emeritus,
- a nominee's professional CV,
- the minutes from the faculty's scientific board meeting at which the nomination was approved.
The information on the Rector's decision on the appointment as professor emeritus will be forwarded by the Academic Affairs Office of RMU to both the faculty and the newly appointed professor emeritus. When the Rector's letter announcing the appointment is received, the department that created the proposal concludes a contract with the professor emeritus. In addition, the terms and conditions relating to the entrustment of University property for the permanent use of the professor emeritus shall be governed by a loan agreement. The appointment is confirmed at a ceremony at which the rector gives a degree of appointment to the professor emeritus, which usually takes place at a meeting of the Masaryk University's Scientific Board.
Act No. 111/1998 Coll., on higher education as amended (the Higher Education Act), establishes that an institute of higher education that has acquired institutional accreditation in a certain area of instruction can establish the position of an extraordinary professor. Masaryk University acquired institutional accreditation in May 2018 for a period of ten years in 23 areas of instruction. A list is available here (in Czech).
According to the Higher Education Act, holding the position of an extraordinary professor is in many respects comparable to possessing the title of associate professor or professor. There are, however, some limitations associated with this position, which are outlined here (in Czech). A person can be hired as an extraordinary professor only if they have reached a status equivalent to associate professor or professor outside of the Czech Republic, or if they are a prominent expert who has at least 20 years of experience teaching in a higher education setting.
The process of filling the position of an extraordinary professor and its rules are described in Regulations on Competitive Selection Procedures at Masaryk University. According to the Guideline Status and Classification of an Extraordinary Professor at MU with effect from 1 January 2023, it is necessary to select the category of extraordinary professor in the proposal form. An auxiliary comparison of the categories of Extraordinary Professor I and II can be found in Article 6 of the Guideline.
- Extraordinary Professor I is intended for persons who have the competencies to hold the rank of professor / associate professor but do not have a formal habilitation / professorship procedure, or do not meet the requirements for one, or have a professional interest in obtaining one. It is a time limited project involvement for outside experts. Proposals in the Extraordinary Professor I category are approved by the Faculty Scientific Board and subsequently by the Rector.
- Extraordinary Professor II is for top academics with merits from abroad for whom an extraordinary functional position is hereby created. Proposals in the Extraordinary Professor II category are approved by the Faculty Scientific Board and the MU Scientific Board.
The list of extraordinary professors at the Faculty of Science can be found here.
The procedure for hiring an extraordinary professor
The proposal of the Head of the Department to fill the position of an extraordinary professor is first submitted with a brief justification to the head of the Personnel Office of the Faculty of Science.
After approval at this level, the proposal is included in the programme of the Scientific Board of the Faculty of Science. Only after approval by the scientific board of the faculty can the proposal with all attachments be submitted to the Rector via the Doctoral Studies and Science Qualification Divison of RMU.
To submit a proposal, please use the form found here (in Czech).
Annexes to the proposal include:
- an applicant’s CV,
- documents confirming compliance with legal requirements,
- minutes from the meeting of the board responsible for the selection process (if such a meeting was held) or a description and justification of why the position is being filled in this manner;
- minutes from the meeting of the Scientific Board of the Faculty of Science,
- other documents deemed necessary by the Head of the Department in question.